Colors make humans feel things. Simple, right?
Well, yes! In one sense. For example, we like certain colors and dislike others. Something about them evokes some sort of emotion or feeling. Personally, I love blue but hate purple. Do I know why? Not really, but it’s true.
But, we can complicate things in a number of ways– first by looking into color psychology and cultural connotations. For example, if you were to speak to a graphic designer, you’ll hear that red can stimulate our appetite, while blue evokes a feeling of trust or even professionalism. Just look at the colors of fast food logos versus tech companies. Color psychology is a huge part of branding because human association with colors .
Second, human associations with colors can vary by culture. For instance, the color white in many cultures (like North America) can represent purity, clarity, and peace, while in some Asian cultures it is often associated with death and bad luck.
What color should I use in my spell/ritual?
No association is right or wrong, and exploring any culture’s color associations would reveal an endless depth of diverse information and beliefs. This is why all color associations are subjective to the person. This is not to say, however, that there aren’t generalized or widely recognized associations we can use as a starting place!
After all, metaphysical properties of colors are subject to one’s agreement with it anyways! If you want to make a spell jar for personal power, and research tells you to fill it with Dragon’s Blood, chili flakes, and seal it with red wax, but you actually feel most powerful wearing black or yellow, your spell jar by all means should reflect that! Does primary blue sound a little applicable to your intention, but not quite right? Try researching indigo or baby blue next.
Never forget that magic = intention + action.
That is, all you need is you and your intention when practicing. Anything else, like color association, is simply an amplification of your existing intention. So here’s your starting line, the generally recognized symbolism and associations of common colors. Take what resonates, ditch the rest, blend two colors together, etc. Tell us in the comments what you’re working on!
- Courage, creativity, energy, sex, passion, romance, drama, boldness, assertiveness, strength, power, love, determination
- Ambition, concentration, eloquence, energizing by day & cozy by night, appetite stimulant, legal issues, intellectual pursuits, success, vitality, luck, magnetism, playful
- Happiness, optimism, memory, creativity, nervous system stimulant, attractiveness, clarity, intelligence, travel, communication, learning, cheerful, inspired
- Nature, life, renewal, refreshing, inviting, sophistication, crispness, growth, fertility, harmony, health, prosperity, wealth, abundance, gentle, aware, secure, restful
- Dreamwork, healing, intuition, loyalty, peace, spirituality, comfort, serenity, hope, patience, orderly, harmonious, reliable
- Higher self, communicating with higher beings, meditation, psychic abilities & development, royalty, creativity, intuition, wisdom, deep connections, rich, vibrant, eccentric, unique
- Energy, glamour, beauty, compassion, femininity, partnership, love (romantic & otherwise), affection, optimism, caring, soft
- Comfort, coziness, abundance, family, pets, friends, stability, home, grounding
- Absorbing energies, banishing, breaking bad habits or hexes, discovering hidden wisdom, protection, self defense, silence, elimination, meticulous
- Invisibility, loneliness, neutrality, wisdom, introspection, stillness, careful
- Intuition, openness
- Success, courage, setting boundaries
- New beginnings, imagination, purification, cleansing, truth, reflecting energy, can substitute for any other color
Associations for energy centers or chakras